Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Sewing Room


It is time for a new two-week challenge at Frilly & Funkie and I am your hostess this time. The theme is called On The Runway and we want you to create a vintage or shabby chic project that depicts Sewing and/or Fashion.

The Top Pick chosen by the Design Team will earn a Guest DT spot here at Frilly and Funkie and one randomly chosen entry will win a $25 spending spree at The Funkie Junkie Boutique!

Simply create a new project, link it to your post using the linking tool provided and make sure you add a link in your post (not just your blog) back to the Frilly and Funkie challenge. You can combine our challenge with up to 10 challenges (including this one) to be in with a chance of winning. Make sure you follow these rules as unfortunately we have had to eliminate entrants from the prize draws in the past when they have entered too many other challenges. Also, please be sure to turn off your Word Verification so our Design Team can leave comments on your blogs.

For this challenge I have actually made a mini album that is all about fashion ideas from the Sewing Room.  This is the front cover of the album and I will describe how I have made it but come back to Frilly and Funkie on Saturday when I do the Saturday Step X Step feature and I will show you each page and tell you how they were created.

The album is made of chipboard and I worked from the back to the front to "decorate" the album.  I made the paper to cover the front in Photoshop by combining a variety of vintage sewing-themed ads from The Old Design Shop and The Graphic Fairy.  Before I adhered it to the chipboard, I swiped a thin coat of Picket Fence Distress Stain over it to dull the image down a bit since it was printed on a laser printer.  Once it was dry, I randomly inked Stormy Sky, Scattered Straw, Tattered Rose and Bundled Sage Distress Ink over the paper.  Finally I inked all the edges with Vintage Photo Distress Ink to give it a vintage look.

Note:  Pretty well everything has been inked with Vintage Photo Distress Ink so I won't keep repeating it.

The spine was added and then I adhered a strip of Venise lace that was inked.  The sign is a stamp from the  Paper Artsy Hot Picks set # HP1213 and was stamped with Jet Black Archival Ink and the edges were distressed with my scissors.  I found the mannequin online ages ago but failed to mark credit when I saved it (my apologies) and the ribbon card that I wound with some narrow satin ribbon from my stash is from Astrid's Artistic Efforts.

I created the flower from some of the offcuts of Pion Designs paper and the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die.  Finally I added the gorgeous little metals scissors.

The following items used to create this cover can be found at The Funkie Junkie Boutique, a super place to shop because the prices are always discounted and the customer service is the best.

6 comments:

  1. This is such a clever idea Cec and I can't wait to see more of it on Saturday. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just gorgeous, Cec. So cool that you digitally collaged together the paper for the front of the album. Love the vintage hues you used. The front looks sensational - can't wait to see more of it and learn how you made it. What a fun theme you have for us this week!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Cec! Your album cover is AMAZING and I really, really, really, really want to see the inside pages (hint, hint....)
    Your paper created in photoshop is gorgeous and I love the way you combined your inks and stains too.
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING project Cec.. Just love the fantastic vintage look you created. Wow I do admire your work !!!
    Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs from SPAIN

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading your step by step on the F & F blog, I just had to come here to take a closer look at the cover, - it looks fantastic, so beautifully put together and I am really happy you found some use for one of my ribbon spools!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word, Cec, this is absolutely fabulous! I had to go over to the funkie junkie boutique, loving those scissors, only to find it's closed for a few days. Can't wait for it to open and to look at the inventory.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think about my work, so please leave me a comment.

Thanks!
Cec